Overcoming Writers Block

Hi,
It's been a while, I know... A long long while.
I hope it's not too late to wish you a Happy New Year.  I decided to talk on blocks today because I had one in the previous month and in the recent days of this month. Writers block can be so dreadful and terrible, watching your characters go on a break and it seems as though they are never coming back ever!
It killed me and I was like, whoa, I have to battle this and I did, it's hard, really hard to overthrow a block most times but if your work really pulls you, you'd want to keep your characters and your whole new world intact.
I took a few tips which worked and I'd like to share to you all writers out there, I'd also love to hear your feedbacks and your own means of overcoming a block....yea, in case my hit next time, old therapies can be boring most times.
Okay,  let's look at what I did
1. I RE-READ
I took time to go through my story over again, it was kind of boring at first and then most times I laughed at what my characters did and it got me thinking about a few scenes I needed to add.
2. I EDITED
When I went through my work again, I found out so many errors ranging from typographicals to tense and Verb Concord. I took time to rearrange and restructure. It was so much fun believe me. That
doesn't mean I won't require an editor though.
3. I TOOK A BREAK
My characters needed a break, there is no how I won't need one either, I'm their creator and they are subject to me, but then I respect their freedom. I went on long walks and I tried to ignore the fact that I had a lot of word count left to put in. They needed it as much as I did. Yea, I referring to my characters and I'm talking about the break.
4. CHARACTERIZATION
I decided to know my characters better, from the major  ones to the minor ones. One by one, I studied them, I have a file of character names and what significance they have in my book, I took time to access them and know how far they've come.
5. I DRAFTED
Last on the list, but I put up some scenes that I had formulated earlier and I worked on them, polished them the way I  knew how and penned them down.

Slowly, the block wore off. Blocks can be a terrible thing but then, they give us the bigger picture. A block doesn't mean that you need to rest or that nothing is forthcoming, you need to know more about your characters and thats what a block come in to do, at least that is how I see it most times though.

I hope you find this post helpful, all the same I promise to be active a little more this year.
Remember to leave your therapy for overcoming blocks in the comments.
Have a wonderful week ahead.

Comments

Popular Posts